These are the cookies we made and Elliot choose to leave out for Santa.
One for Santa, Chippy (our new elf this year), and Mrs. Clause (so cute that he thought of her)



It's been a while since we've had a consistent Christmas Eve. Before we moved to Indiana we spent our Christmas' in Sun Valley (10 years in a row). So I really don't know how to do Christmas at home. I'm not good at it. Our first year in Indy (2009) Grandpa Larsen died and J.R. was able to get enough time off to spend Cmas day in Utah. The next year we had out Twins (2010) and I honestly don't remember anything about that Christmas except finally holding Jaxon in the NICU on Cmas Day. Last year (2011) was fairly normal...boring maybe, but normal. We spent Cmas eve cutting out snowflakes and hanging them on the ceiling because there was no snow outside. Got to be together and had a good experience. Then there was this year. We were so happy to be invited to a Cmas Eve dinner at our dear friends house (Matt & Erin Pitcher). The Chinese food supplied by all who came was DELICIOUS! The company was fun and acting out the Cmas story was neat. We enjoyed the evening with great friends who, like us, don't have family close by. We went home early enough for our own moment of singing and setting up then it was off to bed. I'm not sure what it was about this year, but it just felt disjointed. We're in a strange place in our lives. So close to moving on and probably never going to see these friends again. Our anticipation of the future. Our lack of family and tradition. Our lack of funds for much in the way of gifts. My frustration of all the spending and semi "forced" gift giving (probably because of the previous concern)....I think everything just sorta piled on top of each other and put a strange taste in my mouth. Talking with J.R. in bed on Christmas Eve we decided we are not stay-at-home type of Christmas people. Sun Valley is our tradition. Even if we don't carol in the group again, I have a strong suspicion we will be spending our future Christmas' in Sun Valley or somewhere like it.
Beside the strange feeling there is always one feeling that is felt no matter where you are or what you're doing at Christmas. That is the feeling of the Savior and the importance of that day so many years ago.
Merry Christmas...Eve!
1 comment:
Just read this Chel, and have to say I totally understand what you are saying about Christmas traditions. I hope you'll make the voyage back to SV! We miss you.
Post a Comment