On a very last minute whim (or inspiration) we changed out flight plans from Florida to northern Idaho. Don't ask how that happened. It was crazy. It's so strange to me how you can feel good about one thing right at that moment, perhaps just because you haven't heard or thought of the right decision yet. This is how I have felt about making a decision on where to begin the rest of our lives. We have felt good about so many different places. We are trying so hard to keep our hearts and minds open to inspiration that every place has seemed like a great place to live.
Anyway, back to Coeur d'Alene. So after canceling and losing lots of money on our flight to Florida we were headed west. Just a week earlier when we were planning on going to Florida we sat down with our OS Practice Broker to talk about locations. We sorta used him as a therapist I think talking about why we like certain places and what we see in our future with our family/kids. When we talked about Florida specifically I burst into tears and said "I can't live in Florida" No matter how great the job opportunity was and how cool a place it is, it was just way too far from home and so completely unfamiliar that I just couldn't settle into the idea. Whoosh...I finally got that out. I didn't even realize it was in me till our "therapy session" So, after more discussion Barry suggested we put a radius around home and try to look for a practice within that radius. Perfect. 8-12 hour drive maximum! Done. Next thing he said caught us completely by surprise. "Have you ever heard of Coeur d'Alene?"
What? The only reason I had any idea what he was talking about was just a couple weeks earlier my Aunt Laura told me Mike & Carly were looking into a job in Coeur d'Alene. I had never heard of this beautiful place in Northern Idaho. Wow. So, it all seemed so ironic for Barry to mention it. For just a minute I got this weird sort of dejavu type moment where things seemed to be lining up. So we did a quick google search and booked our flight to Spokane, Washington.
Going to Coeur d'Alene in the winter is probably the worst thing we could have done, but our mind was so wide open there wasn't much that could put a damper on our thoughts. We really tried to give every place a big benefit of the doubt as we visited these places. We were good about writing down things that bothered or worried us and things that were great about each place. In CDA we staying in the fancy resort hotel (major bonus for CDA) We went out with a realtor to look at the neighborhoods and drove by schools. We spoke with 3 different Oral Surgeons. 2 were retiring and 1 was thinking about moving from Spokane to CDA. It was a really great visit!
(Side note: My mom and Ty were at our house in Indy watching our kids while we were gone. Miles newly diagnosed asthma flared up and my mom got worried enough that she took him to the ER to get checked. He was really struggling to breath and the albuterol breathing treatment wasn't helping. He ended up being fine, but it certainly added to the stress of being away. Thank heavens for my mom!!)
The Spokane temple
Our view from our hotel room
Hottie mchottie pants! The view behind him is pretty nice too ;)
It was freezing, but the sun came out and it was just breath-takenly beautiful!
The mountains made us feel so much at home.




No comments:
Post a Comment