Thursday, January 22, 2009

I can SEW! (sorta)


I thought I'd just share a major accomplishment with everyone.... I actually made something useful from a floppy piece of fabric. It was super easy - well, it was easy once someone showed my how to thread my machine correctly and loosen the tension, not to mention backstitching, ironing, etc.... Who knew sewing was so involved? I've had my machine for over a year now and have only patched holes and hemmed stuff (little did I know I was doing it all wrong and the hardest way possible) But now I can say I actually created something from scratch. COOL! My mom will be so proud!

Elliot was kind enough to model it for me next to my awesome sewing machine - it deserves some credit too I guess. It's awesome because the straps are adjustible. Now Elliot doesn't have an excuse, I'm putting him to work!


This is the back...see how the strapes slide down the sides.
This is the front!


FINALLY...this was the last of TONS of photos and we finally got a smile!



The following are the plethera of faces daddy was pulling to try to get that smile. Elliot thought it was more fun to copy dad.









The kissy face....my personal favorite!

7 comments:

Lizzy said...

Good work! I'm so proud of you! I've only sewn 4 things in my life, but I just got my own machine for Christmas, so I'll get to do more now!

Erin Davis said...

Good job Chel! My sewing machine has dust on it. You need to teach my now!

kat said...

Way to go!! That is my goal this year...dust off the machine and get to work.

Melissa S. said...

I've never seen an adjustable strap apron! Seriously, that is soooo awesome!

Jessica June said...

LOVE your apron!! I just put a post on my blog about sewing and then I was checking up on yours and look what i found! I love it!! I guess next time you come we'll have to have a sewing party!! Love ya! (you should totally send that video to funniest home videos- that is hilarious!)

Kylene said...

Nice work Chelsea! That is so cute. You've inspired me to pull out my machine. :)

Kara said...

J.R.! It was so fun to see your post on my blog! To be honest, I've blog-stalked you somewhat in the past... :)

Old college-mates, huh? I still keep in touch with Jana and Susanna. There are several friends from my days on the Snowdrift that I keep in touch with, but I don't know if you know any of them (music nerd-dom, writing nerd-dom...there are so many avenues in which to enjoy one's nerd-dom). Hey, I don't know how far back you read on my blog, but I think I posted a photo of you and me in costume for "Kiss Me Kate." Seems like a lifetime ago (I guess it was...)

Anyway, what's your plan once you're done with dental school? Logan (my husband) is currently working on his doctoral dissertation with plans to be done this summer (hooray!). We can all breathe one collective sigh of relief when we're FINALLY done with school!

Well, your little family is just beautiful. Life has been kind to us, has it not? Keep in touch!