Wednesday, January 28, 2009

A long history of knee problems...I mean, REALLY LONG

Here I am sitting in our office with my crutches at my side and my leg propted up on the desk. I was just thinking....I've had so many knee surgeries I should have learned something from them....so here are my thoughts.

1. The soap they have you scub with the night before, the morning of, and a few hours before the actual surgery is extremely itchy. I about created my own surgery incisions from my nails waiting to go back to the OR. Is the risk of infection really that bad?
2. Don't expect to see your MD before the surgery. I was wanting to just double check on his plan for me just to be sure he remembered my case and to ask him to see if I could be a candidate for a maniscal transplant, but he whooshed in and out so quick I barely got to say hello.
3. Just sitting there alone I started eves dropping on the patient next to me...Hillarious! Seriously funny stuff. It was problem after problem and then d/t a UTI they had to cancel his surgery anyway. Such entertainment. Too bad no one was there to enjoy it with.
4. When a guy comes to your bedside before you're in the OR, tells you he's your anesthesiologist and starts putting stuff in your IV don't expect to be awake much longer. You're a gonner. (personally, it would have been nice if he would have said something like - it's okay, you're going to fall asleep now. Or, don't be alarmed if your body feels like it's about to drift into oblivion. Or, you may feel weird for a second, I'm just putting the sleeping medicine in.) Really, any kind of warning would do.
5. Don't forget to bring undies. G's are too long and no one wants to be in the buff when they don't have to be.
6. It's not neccessary to bring your own crutches. Your insurance will cover 1 pair a year. (plus, the ones we brought we're for people 5'10 and taller...oops)
7. Coming out of the anesthesia is by far the worst feeling ever. I hate it. You're so disoriented and confussed. Then there is someone telling you to sit up and open your eyes. If I had the strength I probably would have smacked her.
8. Take your pain meds regularly for the first day. No matter how groggy they make you feel.
9. Don't forget to ICE ICE ICE your leg. It really feels good and really hurts if you forget.
10. Say thank you OFTEN. Poor J.R. has to be the full time "mom" and take care of a limping wife. I can tell he was a bit pushed to the edge today (elliot refused to nap and it was a level 2 snow storm - which ment no leaving the house) Rough day with a very messy house. Hopefully tomorrow will be better!
11. Don't think this is the last surgery. Somehow knee surgeries have become a natural part of my life. I'm sure I'll be heading for bilateral total knee replacements sooner then later. Gma: we can be knee knocking buddies!

My surgery history
(the following is mostly for my history/journaling sake - could be boring for others)

#1 Sept 1997. Right leg ACL reconstruction.
Just a month into my 9th grade year. The school I went to had 3 or 4 stories and about a million steps. This was the year all of the Northern cities combined schools, which ment tons of new people and everyone was trying to fit in with the new crowd. I tore my ACL playing soccer just before school tryouts. I thought maybe the injury could handle V-Ball, but hurt it again doing ladders at v-ball tryouts. Had to quit ballet right after finally getting a decent part in "The little match girl" After the inital soccer injury I also blew it again during a fall dance recital as I was running around the back of the stage about to come on for my big switch leap solo. Can't remember if I toughed out the rest of the show? I do remember the last of the show was "buckaroo...something, something" and it was all on point shoes.
Another funny #1 surgery moment: I was crushing on this boy who was in my science class (i think it was science) the class was on the top floor of the school and one of my last periods. I was exhausted from going up and down stairs on crutches all day and dealing with all the pain of a sore and swollen knee when the teacher decides to take the class all the way down stairs and outside on the football field to explore soil, or bugs or something. This particular boy asked if he could give me a ride on his back down the stairs after noticing how awkward I was looking trying to get down by myself while trying to keep up with the class. I refused of course...I could never let a guy I liked carry my down all those stairs and have him pass out at the bottom because I'm so heavy. After about 2 flights I started to get weak and slipped and fell HARD right on my butt, jamming the back of my knee into the step edge. OUCH! I'm not sure if the pain in my knee or the pain in my ego was worse. Being the stubborn person I am I still refused his kind offer. Well, once I finally caught up with the class on the field they were all turning around to head back in. (the gentleman of a boy stayed at my side the whole time...what a sweet guy) I couldn't help but shed a tear on the way back into the school from the pain and exhaustion. The kind, observant boy noticed and asked politely again if he could give me a ride up and at this point I didn't have the strength to say no. He was my knight in shining armor that day and I'll never forget his kindness. We've been best friends ever since. Jon...I sure love you kid!
The other good thing that happened due to this injury was I joined the swim team and made Great friends and loved the sport and loved the competition! Swim Team RULES!

#2 & #3 Summer 2000. Left and Right ACL reconstruction
These surgeries are a bit hassy in my memory. I tend to forget painful memories.
At the end of my Sophomore year I was competing in our regional drama comptition. Cheer tryouts were the next day so we had a practice scheduled right after the drama comp. The night started out lucky and I won 1st place in region! I was on a high and must have felt invisible I guess because I decided to try a roundoff backhandspring while practicing for cheer tryouts and low and behold blew out my Left ACL. Talk about luck not lasting long. I refused to miss cheer tryouts and had my dad shoot my knee up with some crazy numbing stuff and made it through tryouts. Gratefully I made it on the squad and because of it couldn't find a time to have surgery so decided to just tough it out in a brace - minus the back handsprings. The year was going by fairly well until Sun Valley. December 1999 T.J. was caroling with Sunburst so our family went to show support. It had been over 3 years since my first surgery on my rt leg and I knew I still had a torn ACL on my left side so I sported a big brace to protect the weaker left side. It was our first day on the mountain, first run of the day and the very top of baldy - just as you peek over the top of the mountain where you can see the valley below I took the first hard turn of the day on skies and POP. There went my RIGHT knee. Now I had 2 torn ACL's and was stuck on the top of a huge mountain. It hurt so bad, but I was more angry then in pain. Once again, I was extremely stubborn and sick of my knees controling my life so I refused to let my dad call for a sled. I slid down on my butt the whole way, crying every scoot of the way. FYI going down a mountain the size of Baldy on your butt takes FOREVER and is freezing! Why does my stubborness always cause me more pain then neccesssary. Will I ever learn? I guess we decided to just put another brace on and try to finish the year. (maybe i had just stretched the right side again instead of a complete tear?...not sure)
Once again it was time for cheer tryouts. This time for my senior year. Almost identical to the year previous...the night before tryouts, going up for a sweet toe touch and POP. That completed my Right side. It was officially torn again. My dad tried again to load me with drugs, but either my exhaustion from my body not being able to keep up with me or my too high confidence in them letting my in since I was returning, or my lack or enthusiasum for the sport - I didn't even make it past the judges. I threw a small and embarrassing fit when I didn't see my name on the list then chilled out and moved on. I decided to skip the sports route and try student government. No such luck. I tried for SB Vice pres, Senior class VP, and BAGA. Didn't make any of them. I still sometime wonder what Heavenly Father was trying to teach me. I ended up having surgery on both legs that summer to try to just get it over with. That summer I also sent my brother and boyfriend on missions. Not so fun. I was lonely, in pain and wondering what else could go wrong. Again, not the best summer of my life.
I guess it's no wonder why I look back on my High School years with not much fondness. I even had to quit swimming my senior year to let my knees recover. Beyond all that crap, there were some sweet high points - mostly in swimming ie: swimming on a relay at State my Jr. year, going into a sport I knew nothing about and ending up being not too shabby at it. Making some of my best best friends on the team.

#4 January 2009 Left knee scope due to bilateral miniscal tears and major arthritis
At the beginning of this summer I decided to really put major effort into losing the baby weight that just wasn't letting go. I started running on a tredmill because that was the only way I've ever been able to lose a lot of weight quickly. I ran about 2 miles every other day for most of the summer. In Julyish I came home from the gym a little more sore then usual. My knees usually had to be iced and I took a bunch of advil after each run and by the next day felt pretty good. But this particular time the advil wasn't working and the ache wouldn't go away, plus my left knee seemed to be "catching" with each bend. I tried to deal with it, but the pain was getting worse and worse so I made an effort to find an orthopedic doc and get an educated opinion. The MRI and xrays showed torn menisci and bone to bone arthritis. He said if I was older they would be talking about a total knee replacement. YIKES! (The right didn't look as bad arthritis wise - whoosh) So after a trial with a brace and meds I scheduled this scope. The Doc said that was the last time I should ever run. My knees just can't handle the impact. So don't be surprised if you see me in the pool with the other oldie goldies doing water aerobics while I wait for age to get the best of me and I end up with metal knees like the rest of the class. In the meantime I'll be looking for good books and doing a lot of scrapbooking. Maybe that's why Heavenly Father blessed me with the love for craftiness. What a kind tender mercy!

This surgery has been the easiest by far. Probably because it was just a scope. Althoug it has been Super Super hard not having my mom and dad around. No one beats my mom at helping me recover. Knees, babies, you name it...she ROCKS! Mom's just know what you need without you having to ask. Don't get me wrong, J.R. is great! Sometimes a girl just needs her mom.
Instead of being on crutches for several several weeks I'll be back on both feet in just a few days. I probably won't need all the intense and tough PT either. Hopefully I get more info at my F/U apt next week.....To be continued........

Lessons I've learned:
Count your many blessings
Don't let what you can't do hold you back. Find other stuff you like and don't dwell on the negative.
Don't blame a bad attitude on painful knees. I still have choices - make them good!
Trials can be exhausting a painful, but hopefully I'm being molded into the person Heavenly Father wants me to be. Knees are extremly mild compaired to the real trials some people are asked to face.
I can't wait till the resurection when our bodies will be made perfect and I can run and keep up with my Land & Lyd all day long.

8 comments:

Katie Nikolaus said...

Holy Cow, Chels! That is all so crazy! (As I was reading about the story from 9th grade, I was totally thinking that was Jon!) I hope you start getting some relief soon!

Kasi French said...

WOW! I wish I were closer to come and visit you little shut-in!

Melissa S. said...

WOW, you MUST be down and out if you have time to write that whole thing down!!!!! Holy cow! I actually learned a lot and am shocked the anesthesiologist didn't give you better warning! But the real question is.....how was the food in the hospital? :)
I'm sure JR is even MORE appreciative of what you do everyday after a snow day/no nap day like he had!

Stacy Ellison said...

holy moly! i never knew a girl could have so many surgeries! i hope you recover quickly. and you need a break so take advantage of just sitting there! jr will survive. barely, but survive he will :)

Teddy said...

You are one tough chick. I cry just thinking about having someone touch my knees. AND when I blew mine on baldy I took the sled. (and yes it is embarassing, but at least they zip you up in the bag so no one can see your face:)
Love ya Chel, get better fast!
Oh, and congrats to JR! What a smarty pants.

Shanae said...

Talk about a stroll down memory lane. I remember almost all of those surgeries. I didn't know that you had another one. I am sorry doll. Besides that how is everything going? I MISS YOU!

Sharli said...

Wow! I knew life was rough for you back then, but after reading this whole thing... you are amazing! I can't believe you got through all of that. And it's still going on. I guess I never realized how strong you really are. You continue to go on with a good attitude no matter what trials you face. I SERIOUSLY look up to you, Chels. You are my new hero! I love you. Hang in there.

A girl named Holly... said...

Hey! This might be weird because I don't know you, but a friend sent me this blog post because she said she read it and immediately thought of me as she laughed through your comments. It had to do with knees, so I knew I had to read the whole thing. I too have had my fair share of knee surgery's. Three torn ACLs just like you. As I read your post, your memories sounded earily familiar...I also tore mine once doing backhandsprings and once snowboarding. The third time was basketball just six months after the snowboarding accident. I wanted to die. I am glad to know there is someone else out there that is going to be on the others side saying, "really heavenly father, that many knee surgeries? Were you aware of all the emotional and physical pain that would cause me...FOREVER?" I'm sure he is, but I still can't wait to ask. Thanks for your post, and good luck recovering from the latest!