Saturday, February 13, 2010

Residency is not for the faint of heart

I was excited to be planning our Valentine date this year. J.R. has been on call every other day this month so finding time to see him at all, let alone go on a date has been nearly impossible. Eventually we found a window and decided to go for it.
I was going to do the usual dinner and a movie, but decided we needed something more to boost our moral and release some good endorphins. So, I scheduled a private dance lesson at the Fred Astaire dance studio at 6:15pm SHARP. It was so fun digging through our boxes to find my dust covered T-straps and J.R.'s black dance kicks. I got a call from J.R. around 4:30pm saying he had one more patient to see and he'd be on his way. A quick half hour. Around 5:45 I still hadn't heard from him and due to the terrible reception at the hospital was unable to reach him, and so reluctantly had to call the studio and cancel at the last minute. Our babysitter got here at 6:00 and still no word from J.R. If this was any other time in our lives I'd be worried by now and wondering if he got in a wreck or something, but my heart new better. He's a resident (period.) So we waited and I considered using the babysitter while I had her and running pointless errands or spoiling myself at the mall to try to boost my spirits. But then, around 6:30pm my phone finally rang. He was alive, just got caught up helping with an incoming emergency. Where was the guy who was supposed to be on call? Who knows.
Needless to say we ended up going to dinner and a movie. I wish I was better at disappointments because I know it wasn't J.R's fault, I just hate that we really have no control over our lives. We are slaves to a legal contract called residency. I'm exhausted!
I love Indiana, but I'm ready to be done with this part of our lives. I want my husband back. I don't want to be so independent. I want to be able to depend on him, but that's impossible when he has no control.
Poor J.R. As hard as I think it is, it is about 100 times worse for him. I can't believe what he has to experience! Only 1 more week till he gets a much needed week vacation! WE CAN'T WAIT!

At the end of the night with or without a dance lesson, it was nice to spend time with him and joke about random stuff and talk about nothing in particular!

I LOVE YOU J.R. Thanks for your strength, love and patience in me!
Happy Valentines Day!


7 comments:

Melissa S. said...

:( I'm sorry. There's nothing worse then expectations not met.....even if you DID have a fun night. Brooks' residency has GREAT hours, but all my other resident wives have told me similar stories to your's. I'm sorry. It's nice to have someone to depend on and be your "go-to" man when you need a break, something breaks or you wanna break dance. Maybe you can just get extra snuggles in tomorrow at church for Valentines Day.
Love ya

Unknown said...

sorry for your disappointment. That is rough. Hang in there!

Trisha said...

I'm sure it will all be worth it in the end!

Teddy said...

You poor girl. You'll be one little toughie once this is all over. And what a great idea to do dance lessons! FUN! Next time. . . . . .

Vaughn Mathis said...

Yep, Yep. I can head nod along with this post with the best of them.

I completely understand how you feel.

Hang in there. It does get better (or at least that is the nasty little rumor I hear).

Stacy Ellison said...

oh man! that is the pits. i can't say i know exactly what you are going through because residency and law school are very different, but for i moment i felt your pain. but soon enough he will be done and it will be WONDERFUL! i have my husband back and soon enough you will too! i promise it will be worth it!

Kellie said...

AHHH, so disappointing. I'm so sorry. Keep trying, maybe now you already have a fun idea for a date during this next night off??? I hope venting helps for you because you're right, there's not a lot you can do... Hang in there, it will be worth it.

p.s. LOVE your hair with bangs in that last post, so cute!