Friday, November 26, 2010

Hospital Stay Day 3. (33wks)

Beware: a lot of journaling


11.24.10: That morning I had about 7 contratctions in 1 hour, which is the max I'm allowed before we make changes....well, since I have been on the Turb pump for a solid 5 weeks I had increased my dose so much over time that I had reached my maximum daily dose....what next?MAG! At my usual MD apt. later this day my cervix had shortened again to 2.01 (which is pretty short) so my doctor said it's time to be admitted. They wheeled me over to the hospital striaght from her office. As the night went on my contractions continued even as we continued to increase the mag dose. At first the mag wasn't so bad, then slowly the effects crept in. It felt like I was on fire and burning from the inside out. Yikes!

11.25.10: By about 2 am we had reached a max dose with the mag and my contractions were still breaking through every 2-4 minutes. I was dilated to a 1.5 and about 90% effaced. Since both babies are breech my MD was worried about letting me labor too long and having a complication like a prolapsed chord or a foot sneaking out and then end in an emergency c-section. So, since she had several other patients laboring right then she decided to give me 2 more hours and if nothing changed we would be headed to the OR to deliver these babies. 4 hours later when she finally made it back to my room my contractions had slowed and my cervix was unchanged so....WE WAIT! I pretty much passed out, only waking to puke or pee (thank you Mag) for the rest of the night. All along the boys had been doing wonderful. Heartrates steady and no signs of issues at all. GOOD JOB boys! Way to hang in there.  Thanksgiving was more of the same...watching the babies, watching the contractions and trying to wean down the Mag dose I was on and try to wake me from the dead. J.R. enjoyed the free Thanksgiving meal in the cafeteria and I enjoyed a graham cracker and chocolate milk which I managed to keep down. 
Although this Thanksgiving was not ideal we still had so much to be thankful for! We are so blessed! Healthy Big boys that are hanging in there and doing great. Wonderful doctors and nurses to keep us safe and healthy and help us make good educated decisions. Wonderful friends, family and neighbors who have been  praying so hard for our benefit. A Heavenly Father watching over us and keeping us calm. My own father here by our side watching things progress and helping to lead us to the right decisions.

11.26.10: 1am woke up to the nurse asking if I've been feeling contractions. I said no, but apparently had 7 contrations in the last hour and the MD order to give me phenergan and Nubain to try to get me to relax and hopefully get the contractions to do the same. Early that night I had taken benedryl to help me sleep and if you don't know me I react to medications in extreme ways. The tiniest dose effects me in enormous ways. You can imagine what all those drugs did...Knocked Me Out! A few hours later I woke up with the nurse trying to strap baby monitors on me. The meds had calmed the contrations, but they also started effecting the babies. Their heart rates decreased with decels occasionally so they threw an oxygen mask on me and continued monitoring the babies the rest of the evening. I was so out of it I could hardly understand what was going on. By morning the babies had stabilized, I was comming out of my "coma" and my contractions were back down to about 4 per hour. They did an ultrasound on the babies just to be sure they were okay (protocol, I guess) and they are. Baby A measured 6 lbs 5 oz and baby B measured 4lbs 15 oz. Not sure how close those measurements are to reality, but either way we know they're big for their age so that is GREAT!!
The rest of today was spent sleeping off the remaining drugs from the night before and watching a movie with J.R.  Thank heavens J.R. had this entire weekend off. Yet another blessing sent straight from heaven. He doesn't have to go back to work till Monday. HOORAY! 
Elliot is still in Utah with Grandma and loving every second. We Skyped with the family last night and Elliot was on just long enough to say a quick hello then off he went to have more FUN FUN FUN with his great cousins. He's not lonesome at all. I started getting lonesome for him Tuesday night when I was laying in bed alone because J.R. was on call. It was weird thinking that everyone in our family was sleeping in a different place that night. I didn't like that feeling so I got lonely. Now that I'm hospital bound I'm so glad he's with my mom. I would be a wreck trying to figure out what to do with him if he were here. BLESSINGS, BLESSINGS, BLESSINGS EVERYWHERE!

The plan: continue to slowly wean me off the magnesium sulfate and transfer me back to the Terbutaline pump. Being able to go home will be another question?? Everything is still kinda up in the air. We'll just take it day by day and keep marinating this boys till their ready.  Pretty sure I'll be here at least till Monday. I'm hoping to keep the boys in till at least next Thursday when I'll be 34 weeks and both my mom and Elliot will be back in Indiana. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for all the well wishes and prayers! We have the best support group ever! Hugs back to everyone!

13 comments:

Liz Rose said...

GREAT update!!! Thank you!! :) Best of luck--keep us updated!

The Kari said...

Just read your blog update aloud to my mom, Jill and Megan. We are all glad to hear you and the boys are doing well! We're thinking about you and praying for your sweet family. Best of luck in the next week, you've done great keeping those little babies cozy and healthy! Love you!

Patrice said...

It's great to read of what's going on. I'm glad, even though you're in the hospital, the kids are sticking it out as long as they can. Of course you are too! You're amazing, and we miss you so much in YW!

Natalie said...

Oh man Chelsea- thanks for the update! I'm sorry you have to be in the hospital, but glad the babies are doing ok! Please call if you need anything :)

Erin Davis said...

Chel you are amazing! It was so fun to Skype with you guys. Elliot does miss you, I can tell. :) Love you!

Unknown said...

what a Thanksgiving story. Our prayers for making it til Thursday!

SKIPR said...

Oh my! Best to you!!!!
Things are going to be great! I'm getting so excited for you guys! Keep hanging in there!

The Huffies said...

Hooray, we're so glad the boys are still inside growing healthy and strong! Great update, sorry for what you're going through, but the end result will be so worth it. Take care!

Trisha said...

You are amazing! I will be thinking and praying for you!

Hey, It's me...Jessica said...

Wow, keep up the good work Chelsea. I wish you rest, and an uneventful week:)

Jami said...

Hang in there Chelsea! So sorry about the hospital stay and especially for the magnesium. I feel your pain!! You are doing a great thing for those boys!

Jenny said...

Thanks for the update! It's awesome that your babies are measuring big for their age. My babies were big for their age and it made all the difference when they were born at 34.1 weeks. Good job growing those babies, girl!

I'm SO glad that Elliot is in Utah with family. Isn't it amazing how things work out like that? I can't imagine having to have you worry about what to do with him!

Heavenly Father is so aware of our needs, it's amazing. You've definitely got some great angels watching out for you! Hang in there!

Kasi French said...

Chels ~ I'm glad you are being watched over so closely. All my love and prayers ~ can't wait to see you and meet those little ones!