Sunday, June 27, 2010

155 mile TEMPLE BIKE TRIP

Lots of pictures...and terribly out of order. Sorry:)



All the bikes stacked together at the end of the trip

Louisville, KY temple

The whole group

Laying on the temple grounds totally worn out.

A super steep hill that about killed me to ride up...but I did it, with out getting off the bike.


Riding across the sweet bridge that connected Indiana to Kentucky.

The same bridge. It crosses over the Ohio River

J.R. at the head of the pack. What a babe!

Andrew Corbin, J.R, Me, Aspen Garyson

Through one section they required we have a police escort. It was nice because they held traffic for us which helped us stay tight as a group without much stop and go.

Probably around mile 30 or 40 on day 1. Still lots of energy. Feeling good!

Lunch stop on day 1 at about mile 40.
I ate 2 HUGE plates of taco salad. I was starving, but paid for it when I felt terribly sick for the next several miles. Taco salad now triggers a vomiting reflux because of it. Nasty!

I think J.R. was getting bored because I was riding slow. You can see that I'm almost the very back of the pack. I think there was 1 or 2 people still behind me at this point.

Our first break on the 1st day. Feeling great. Legs warm and happy. We were slamming down the power bars to keep the energy going.

7:00am just before pulling away from the church parking lot in Indianapolis.
"Let's Do This!"


Did that actually happen?
If you ask me - It was fun, it is over, I have proof I did it.
If you ask J.R. - That was awesome! Let's ride our bikes the 155 miles back home. Can't wait to do it again!

We rode about 75 miles per day. The first night we camped in tents. The next night was all bunked together in a HUGE house. Yes, showers in each place, plenty of good food and TONS of spiritual nourishment! We had support vehicles carrying water and snacks following us the whole way. They were also available when it was time to call "Uncle" and load the bike in the trailer. Luckily our bikes held together and we rode the entire 1st day. Unfortunately my knees didn't have enough time to recover or enough ice to help heal them the first night so I had to load my bike in the trailer for the first 30 miles of the 2nd day. I think J.R. was kinda excited because he finally got to ride at the head of the pack. Riding in the car got old real quick so when we stopped for lunch I had to get back on the horse.

The 2nd day was full of HUGE hills. Up and down, up and down all day. Going down was great relief, but every time we went down I couldn't help but remember that what goes down must come up. Ugh. Even without the first 30 miles I was beat. It was all I could do to hang on the last miles. But my pride pulled me through and we finally turned the corner into the temple parking lot. I've never felt such relief and joy. "I Love to See the Temple" had so much more meaning at that moment! We took pics and my body surrendered. Unfortunately we still had to ride the 5 miles of more hills to the place we were staying that night. My legs were beat, is a major understatement.

The next day at the temple I couldn't stop crying. We spent the morning with the youth doing baptisms for the dead. The spirit was so strong and to watch these tough kids doing such an important work touched my heart in a major way. Our youth is amazing! Later that day the adults went back and did an endowment session. Staying awake was almost painful. The temple is so peaceful and calming it's hard to stay awake even when I'm well rested, but after 2 days of major physical activity, only about 6-7 hours of sleep each night and 2 babies trying to grow inside me, it was more then my body could take.

I slept most of the ride home, got home and just kept sleeping.

What an amazing experience! I didn't expect it to be such a wonderfully spiritual experience. Each night and each morning we had devotionals and a final testimony meeting after attending the temple. Again...our youth are incredible! We had a flu bug circle through many people in the group which was terribly disappointing for those who had trained so hard, but they didn't leave the experience empty handed. They all learned amazing individual lessons and surprised themselves at how tough they are. More then half the kids rode the entire 155 miles at speeds I just couldn't keep up with. Amazing!

I couldn't help but think of my dad the whole way. He always loved road biking. He had such strong legs. I always wanted to get into it with him, but timing just never let that happen. I have a feeling he rode along with us for some of the ride, enjoying nature and breathing in the fresh air created by all God's marvelous creations! Soon dad we'll do it again together side by side!

Thanks to all who helped with Elliot. Debbie and Jerry - Natalie and John. You guys are awesome! We really appreciate your kindness and making Elliot feel so welcome in your home! Love you both very much!!

(Next years ride will be a great way to loose the baby fat. It will be much funner to ride without all the 1st trimester nausea too.......did I just say I want to do this again? I must be crazy! JK)

7 comments:

Kasi French said...

You did it! I'm certain Dad Davis was there with you, not only enjoying the beautiful hills, but his beautiful daughter's strength and conviction. Love you guys!

Hey, It's me...Jessica said...

That sounds amazing. Way to go!
I couldn't have even sat on a bike during my first trimester, let alone bike so far. You rock:)

Teddy said...

You are crazy amazing! I can't believe you did it preggers! WOW!

Liz Rose said...

Wow! You are amazing!! No way could I have done that pregnant!! But what an incredible experience. I know what you mean about Dad's being by our sides--literally. Guardian angel has a new meaning. :)

Jon and Becky Hall said...

Oh my love that is so awesome! The youth you serve are so blessed to have you as their leader. Wow you are such an amazing and inspirational woman!

kat said...

YOU ARE ONE AMAZING, CRAZY, AWESOME MOMMA!! What an inspiration! And pregnant too! You put all us moms to shame! Way to go! What an amazing experience and accomplishment.

Emily J. said...

What an amazing accomplishment! Way to go