Friday, July 16, 2010

Potty Success for my Elliot boy!

FINALLY we are moving somewhere with the whole potty training thing. It has been such a fight just getting him to try to go. I decided to lay off him and just ask subtly and act like it was no big deal and he could go when he wanted. NOTHING WAS HAPPENING.

Then yesterday our neighbor said he'd heard somewhere to have boys pee in a coffee can because it makes a cool noise and it's fun to aim. It was worth a try. He gave us an old can and we gave it a try that same night. Sure enough he thought that was pretty funny and PEED IN THE CAN! The next day he did it again so we put on underwear and crossed our fingers. We decided to make a quick stop at the library later that day. We were standing there looking at a book when I noticed my shoe was getting wet....He was peeing through his pants and onto my shoe. AAAHHHH! As calmly and kindly as I could we rushed off to the bathroom, but he refused to sit on the toilet. He insisted he wanted the can....(back fire) So we slapped on a diaper and headed for home. The next day was on and off as far as success was concerned then came Friday.

We were headed to the children's museum and I told him he needed to pee before we left if he wanted to wear his big boy pants. That was all it took. He marched over to his little potty and did his business! YES! Then we were at the museum and had another successful attempt followed by wet undies due to intense playing. Finally to finish the day (after stopping at the store for Buzz Lightyear undies) we had another successful attempt! I was so proud of him and we was so excited about it too.

We are well on our way to full time undies! Hooray for no diapers. I'm sure there will be set backs and we still need to deal with the "#2" part, but we've got till January when the babies come so I'm sure he can do it.

What a great day!

4 comments:

Apron Appeal said...

I'm not even TRYING to potty train Trish. She'll be three in August. I started the other two while they were two and I felt like I was potty training for over a year. I figure, maybe wait until they are ready and then I won't have to be so vigilant for so long. I'll let you know how it goes.

Hey, It's me...Jessica said...

Yea! Is is so great when they finally decide they want to! Ah, the world of no diapers, when will I ever be there again?!! Congrats Elliot! Go Mom!

kat said...

Yay for the success...good luck with the set backs...potty training is the one thing I could do without.

Way to go ELLIOT!! Keep your momma smilin' :)

Melissa S. said...

I guess that brings new meaning to "using the can".....it's literal for Elliot!