Thursday, October 25, 2007

Just Sleep PLEASE!

Alright, so I raved about that baby book and then I had to give it back to my friend before I was done reading it. I only made it through the sleeping at night part. Well, now Elliot does great at night, but his naps STINK! He takes these little 40 minute power naps only a couple times a day and will only get to sleep by me nursing him. What is going on?? It's driving me crazy. I know he's tired more of the day, but he just will not fall asleep or stay asleep. Any suggestions all you mommy's??
I've got to get stuff done and I can't with him being so tired all the time and clingy. If he would just sleep longer I think he'd be more happy. HELP!
- mommy of a very stubborn 5 month old

3 comments:

Liz Rose said...

I've got a great book for you....Becca actually was the one who introduced me to it. It's called "Baby Wise". I'll email you to give you some details about it!

Jenny said...

I have a great book for you. I studied psychology and behavior in school and I have read almost all the books out there. I think the best book is "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child." It helps teach (or train) your child to sleep well. The book covers children of all ages. I have found it very helpful. I found it on amazon.com for a few dollars.

Hayley also went through a stage just like what Elliot is doing. She was a great sleeper at night, but she was the worse napper on the planet. No matter what I tried, she wouldn't nap. I hated it because I couldn't ever get a dang thing done! However, at like 9-10 months (after much persistance on my part) she miraculously starting napping well. She still sleeps great at night and now she is taking less naps but longer naps (2 hours). So I do believe that it is a stage that Elliot will grow out of. I know it doesn't solve your problem right now, but it will eventually solve itself if you are persistant in trying to have her nap every day.

On another note, I have heard that baby boys (more than girls) like to use their mom as their "binki". I can't really offer any advice in this department since I have a girl and she didn't experience this, but I just wanted you to know that it's normal!

Good luck, hang in there. He will learn how to sleep well and you will get some time to yourself eventually!

Laura said...

Jax did exactly the same thing at 5 months. I knew he needed more sleep during the day because he'd act sleepy. Dr. K suggested maybe letting him cry a while longer when he wakes up from his nap to see if he'd go back down, but that never happened. She also said that if he is a solid night sleeper then maybe he only needs those couple power naps. Sigh... So now Jax is 13 months old, sleeps 11-12 hours at night and only takes a couple power naps a day. So I was not successful in getting him to take those 2-3 hour naps I always heard about. Good luck. Just think of it this way: he has so much fun hanging with you he doesn't want to miss a minute :)

Oh, someone gave me the book entitled: "How to solve your child's sleep problems." I was told it could get Jax to sleep through the night at 3 months. Ha! that never happened but it does have some good advice. You are welcome to borrow it.