When we first arrived and were unloading our truck Jerry Rushton marched right over to introduce himself, welcome us to the neighborhood and offer a hand with moving stuff in. A couple days later when we were trying to figure out how the lawn mower worked and trying to tackle the disaster of a yard we were left when Jerry marched over and offered to see if he could fix the mower for us, then offered to mow our lawn for us. Of course J.R. wouldn't let him mow our lawn while we sat and watched, but we did borrow his mower. While J.R. was mowing the lawn Jerry totally fixed our mower - even when to the store for parts and when J.R. tried to pay him for it he refused saying it wasn't a big deal at all. His wife Debbie also saw me cutting down our bushes by hand and brought over an electric trimmer that cut the work time in half. These people are just awesome! If I continued to tell you everything they have done for us while we've been here, this post would be a mile long. Ie: Dinners for J.R. when I was gone, and for me when he is gone. Babysitting for MD apts. Use of their truck at any time - he even offered to give us a key to it in case we needed to use it and he wasn't around. Borrow their fax machine. Shoot hoops on their court behind their house. Let J.R. drive their convertable for 2 days when we accidently forgot to pick up our car at the shop before the weekend. Seriously, the list could go on and on. Just amazing people!
The kids in the neighborhood are just as great. While we were taking a break from moving stuff into the house, we heard a knock at the door. There were 3 kids standing at the door introducing themselves and welcoming us to the neighborhood. How Polite!
We felt so loved and welcomed that I even dared ask Jerry for a ride to the airport after being their neighbor for just a few days. Of course Jerry took it a step further and offered to mow our lawn while we were gone for two weeks. We made him promise to let us return the favor someday. Crazy nice people. So giving, so kind without any secret agendas. This is exactly the friend and neighbor we want to be. I'm so happy for their example. For now on FHE lessons will be "what would the Rushtons' do?" (in a non sacreligious way of course)
The pictures below are just an average summer day on our street. Playing in the pool that turned into a water fight. Playing in the truck (not sure why that's fun, but I guess being stuck close together and watching Elliot push all the buttons and getting him to say "hamburger" makes kids bust up laughing) Elliot loves the Rushton boys. Josh, Jacob (twins) and Jared. You should see the fit he throws when I tell him it's time to come in for dinner. It's embarrassing, but I think they secretly love the attention. He's other good buddy is Mathew. He comes over every once and a while asking if Elliot can play. Mathew is 8. They can't even communicate, but Mathew likes to make Elliot laugh and Elliot loves having a buddy to play with. Such cute kids.
5 comments:
I am SO happy that you have neighbors and friends like that. I know how scary and lonely it can be moving to a totally random, new place, and when you make friends that are like family, all of a sudden life is so wonderful!! Especially when you don't have a husband a lot, things are so much better when you don't have to just count down the hours of the day alone. I'm really glad things are looking up!
I am so glad you have neighbors like that! That is awesome! L and I went to the bunny fountains the other day, and there were these two 7-year old boys throwing a nerf football to each other. L somehow picked it up when one of 'em dropped it, and they played with him for like 15 minutes. It was so cute to watch him play with the big kids! I love your pictures!
Hey! I have it as a goal to learn photoshop, but in the mean time I use Picasa through Google. It's free and I love the fun collages you can make with your pictures. It's also my favorite way to go through and organize, upload, and edit my pictures (very minimal editing - photo shop has way better options). Google search Picasa and it's a fast download. Hope you like it as much as I do!
I totally want to be a better neighbor now....
On a sidenote, I was telling Jon about your lost pictures and he wanted me to ask you if you still have the hard drive. He's recovered a lot of data from drives deemed "lost" and wanted to see what he could do. I know you live halfway across the country, but hey, you come to visit right? Let me know! tleehaws@gmail.com
I just read your blog and it honestly got me a little teary! (and I'm not even pregnant!) After your last few blogs I was just so happy to see that you have moved into such a happy little place with such caring people around you. How great!
Post a Comment