Sunday, May 30, 2010

Forget Yourself and Get To Work









One of the last things my father told us before he passed was to "Forget yourself and get to work!" What an amazing, inspiring, giving man my father was. It's hard to put into words how much you love your dad and how hard it is to say to say good bye until you try. There are no words to describe a father & daughters relationship. It's something that is carried in my heart and can never be replaced. I know our relationship does not end here on earth, but that we will have all eternity to build on that and continue to make memories and learn and grow.

My dad was constantly grateful for EVERYTHING! He loved nature, he loved people and was always quick to show his gratitude for both. He gave without one thought of his own benefit. He was a true example of selfless charity. His strength though out his disease has been an inspiration to many. Jolene Jacobs wrote a poem about him that I read at his funeral. It fits perfectly with exactly the kind of person he is.

Ted taught us so much without saying a word

He taught silent sermons, but everyone heard


He spoke of being positive confined to a chair

That our trials refine us when life doesn’t seem fair


There are so many things Ted quietly taught

Like joy in life is based on our thoughts


Ted said happiness is based on our attitude

That each day is a gift, so be full of gratitude


Throughout his trials, Ted made no complaint

He showed each day how to live as a Saint


Ted said trials came to pass, not to stay

That we can find joy in what comes our way


Ted said to raise our sights to possibility

It is always there if we have eyes to see


Like Job, Ted endured his trials faithfully

Choosing his attitude was the victory


He said we all get to make of our life

Days filled with happiness, or misery and strife.


While we can’t direct the wind or stop the hail

Ted said we have power to adjust our sails


Ted showed us that all have a reason to smile

To rejoice in hope; to be patient in trials


He said the prophet Joseph taught as he should

Life would give us experience and be for our good


Ted said the Savior would help though our test

And with him each would find heavenly rest


So we say with full hearts, Ted, we honor you

What you silently taught us, we know to be true


You taught us so much without saying a word

Now we must live our lives to show that we heard


I love you Daddy! I pray that you stay close as we try to raise your grandkids to be the kind of person you were.

Thank you to everyone for your thoughts and prayers. They were felt and much appreciated. We are so grateful for such kind, loving friends and family!

8 comments:

Jami said...

What a nice post about your dad, Chelsea. He was such a wonderful man. I'm happy to know that he is not suffering from that horrible disease anymore, but rather watching over you and all of your great family with love from a better place.

Hey, It's me...Jessica said...

What a beautiful example. His life touched so many in such an inspiring way. How lucky you are to have him for a father, for always.

Ashley said...

You have me in tears! Kris is here with me, and we want you to know we love you! Those are beautiful pictures of all of you together.

Teddy said...

Oh man. Got me bawling. Thank you for posting this beautiful tribute to your Daddy. He really is such a special man. Your family's example in the face of this challenge and journey through life and a death is a beacon for those who have lost and who will lose. We all will eventually lose someone we love "until we meet again" and I love the advice to "Forget Yourself and Get to Work"

Natelli Johnston said...

Wow! what an amazing man. I didn't know him, but I knew two of his kids and they are both wonderful, happy, and full of life. I loved being around your family. You all were so close and loving to each other, like a family should be. Thank you for sharing him with us through your blog. I feel inspired. Love you girl.

Jenny said...

What a beautiful post. I'm sorry to hear about the passing of your dad. I'm sure he's dancing and singing in heaven now - pain-free and problem-free. And I think he's keeping a good eye on those two little spirits that will be joining your family. How special that you will get these sweet babies fresh from your father's arms.

Also, I think his casket is absolutely beautiful.

Melissa S. said...

Who wrote that poem? Wow, so touching. Those pictures are PERFECT of the funeral and captured so much of the feeling there. What a wonderful wonderful family you have! You know I love you all, especially you, right?

Jon and Melissa said...

Love you Chelsea, your family never ceases to amaze me. What a beautiful tribute to a beautiful family.