Saturday, October 23, 2010

Day 10 - Mostly journal stuff

10 days down.

I was so unconvinced last week when all this bed rest and medicine stuff was started that I was not the best at following the bed rest rules. Unfortunately that meant for a very rough early Sunday morning. I woke up around 3am with contraction after contraction and lots of pain. I jumped on my monitor and sure enough I had 6 hard contractions in just 30 minutes. The nurse that keeps track of my monitor called right away and we spent the morning adjusting my meds on my pump and remonitoring often. Things finally settled down by 8 or 9am and I got some rest. Although I didn't have as many consistent contractions, the rest of the day was just rough. Lots of small and large tightening. I think I took all the stress from my belly out on my back and neck because I was in so much pain in my back later in the day. Needless to say, I was humbled and so grateful I had the meds available otherwise I probably would have ended up in the hospital that night on Mag.

After that I was much more strict about my bedrest.  Pretty much didn't move Monday or Tuesday.

Wednesday I had an apt. Apparently all those contractions on Sunday caused problems and started shortening and thinning out my cervix. I'm almost to 50% effaced now. My doctor was about to admit me to the hospital right then due to my history and how much I had changed in just one week. Of course, (thank you Turb and hormones) I burst into tears imagining being put in the hospital that day without a husband to help. I convinced her to let me wait just 2 more days and try to get things in order before she admitted me. She agreed and we set up an apt for Friday.

Friday came and I was ready for her to tell me she needed to admit me to the hospital, but thankfully my cervix was unchanged so she agreed to let me go home and wait one more week.  HOORAY! I'd much rather be at home on the couch then in a hospital away from Elliot and J.R.

So the new plan....NST every monday. Cervical check every Wednesday. It's a week by week game now I guess. My mom has a standby ticket just waiting for the call to come. I have an emergency bag packed for the hospital and my bum is stuck to the recliner.

I can't believe the emotions I felt when my doctor told me how serious this really was. Flashbacks of Landon and Lydia are constantly on my mind. I've gained a new appreciation for the constant and frequent monitoring I've been under and I don't think you'll ever hear me complain about my Turb pump again.  I good humbling is what I needed and that's just what I got.  Each day these boys are still in my belly is a gift from Heavenly Father.

We are blessed!
Here's to an uneventful week!!!!!!


ps: Thanks everyone for your comments of love and encouragement!  Love you back!

8 comments:

Liz Rose said...

Oh man!! Keep those babies cookin in the oven!! Best of luck--keep the posts coming!

Melissa S. said...

Oh my word! HOW SCARY!!!!! Especially because of your history! Thank goodness you're on monitors and aware of all of this. I can't believe how much progress you had with those contractions!!!! Girl, you BETTER take it easy and get you a subscription to Netflix!

Sarah said...

you are amazing. I am so excited to meet these little guys. Thanks for being such an amazing example of gratitude!

Jami said...

Hang in there, Chelsea! I used to tell myself that each day that I was bored and miserable was one less day that my baby would be in the NICU. The nurses and I would have a party when I made it through another week.

I have worked in a NICU with very sick babies for over 10 years now, so I know that every single day counts. Keep those feet up and rest. You are doing awesome! Keep us posted!

Quast Family said...

j.r.and chelsy,

been thinking about you lately....hoping things continue to go good for you and you get those babies here healthy and strong!! take care, and we are praying for you :)

kody and amanda quast
(from the usu ward)

kkoyle said...

Oh goodness, take care of yourself. You can do this!

Trisha said...

You are a trooper! I am thinking of you and praying that your body will hold on to these boys for a little bit longer!

Lesli said...

Oh my goodness I think I would loose my mind, first from fear and second from not being able to move. Chelsea you are amazing.... I'm praying for you and your little babes:) You are an awesome example to me of how sometimes service comes in unexpected ways. Your babies will be forever grateful for the service you are giving them! Good luck!