Why is it that while I was pregnant I had no desire to eat junk food or soda?? I actually craved fresh foods, salads, grilled chicken, orange juice, etc....I thought it was a miracle. It felt so good not to even WANT to eat a chocolate chip cookie or drink my usual favorite Dr. Pepper. And then I delivered the babies...
Now, all I want is a huge Dr. Pepper at the end of the day and my sweet tooth has returned with a vengeance. WHAT HAPPENED?? It is the most bizarre thing ever. I thought losing weight was going to be a breeze...and it was at first. I got back to my pre-pregnancy weight just two weeks after having the babies - dropping 30 lbs while I was in the hospital alone. I was feeling great!! But now I'm back to my usual self struggling, like most women, to watch what I eat, stop eating when I'm full and limiting my sweets and soda to a rare occasion. BLAH! Such is life I guess.
But to help curb my sweet tooth Andrea Comeau introduced me to the BEST homemade granola recipe in the world! It is better then candy and doesn't weigh you down or make you feel guilty after. I eat it at least twice a day on top of light vanilla yogurt. It really does the job when my late night, "I've had a rough day, I deserve a treat" sweet tooth comes a calling. Seriously, you have to try it!!
HOMEMADE GRANOLA (straight from Andrea's blog)
3 1/2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup coconut flakes
1/2 cup toasted nuts (I usually use sliced almonds, but lately have used chopped pecans)
2+ teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup canola oil
1 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes on a jellyroll pan, stirring every 10 minutes.
Add dried fruit (raisins) after it is done baking.
We tend to go through this pretty fast, so I usually make a quadruple batch so I only have to make it every couple of weeks. I keep it in a plastic cereal storage container and it keeps great.
Here's to attempting to get back to healthy eating!
4 comments:
I TOTALLY get it about the whole sweet tooth thing! Amen, amen and amen. I'll definitely have to try this. I can't wait. I seriously think that Miles looks like Kenzie....in a boy sort of way, of course.
That is just how I have been. It has been such a struggle to stay away from the chocolate and yummy treats. I am going to try this granola...sounds yummy and if it helps I am totally in.
My sweet tooth is so bad too! Not good when you're trying to be careful. The granola sounds awesome and yummy. I think I'll go make some now :)
Your favorite granola is MUCH healthier than my favorite (which has at least a cube of butter in it) so eat up!!
Post a Comment